Saturday, January 28, 2012

Wet Chickens!

Well after about 2 weeks of rain and flooding we are now down to showers and the chickens couldn't be more pleased.  I just saw them trying to have a dust bath in very damp soil which didn't really work but there is some sunshine forecast in a few days time.  They handled the wet conditions better than I thought they would although there were many times I put on my gum boots and got my big umbrella and went out and told them to get inside their pen as they were saturated! 

The "chill out zone" we made for the two new black chickens came in very handy as initially we put a large tarpaulin on the roof so they had some shade but even though they no longer need this area they did appreciate the shelter when the rain was very heavy. 






In six days we had over 400mls of rain (over 16 inches) so the birds were all looking for somewhere to get up off the ground.  They are going to love the sunshine when it arrives and so will I.  : )

2 comments:

  1. Annie,

    We have an expression here in the south. It's . . .

    "Mad as a wet hen !"

    Somehow I was reminded of this.

    Bill
    GG

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great expression GG, I have never heard of that. It would have been the perfect title for this update! I can understand why you were reminded of it! : )))

    ReplyDelete