Thursday, August 23, 2012

Carnivorous Chickens!


 

Today I was going to tell you about the magnificent perfume from our flowering citrus trees as it wafts around the house telling us that Spring has arrived.  But no!  instead I have to tell you about an incredible scene I just witnessed that put the scent of citrus blossom right out of my mind!

 I was changing the chickens water when I heard them a short distance away and out of their pen, clucking very excitedly about something.  I was thinking “please not a snake”, the weather has warmed up and they will be on the move and I detest snakes but on investigating further I saw Abbey had a live baby mouse in her beak.  It was pink and hairless and about 4cm long and swinging from side to side as she tried to escape from the other chickens. 

 It was how they all reacted to this find that had me fascinated.  They were going mad!  Then Skeeta got it off Abbey and ran off with the others in hot pursuit, around the corner they all ran, they were worse than cats!  Then back around they came and in all the excitement Skeeta dropped it by mistake and they all had it finished off in about 3 seconds.

 They then strutted around like proud hunters, chatting loudly about how they demolished their prey!  

 I am pleased to say that they have now settled down and are sitting under a shrub and chatting quietly to each other no doubt saying how they wish I would stop giving them yogurt and oats, greens and fresh grains and actually give them something that moves!  Meanwhile the beautiful fresh yogurt and oats sits uneaten while they daydream of worms and grubs, beetles and bugs and mice and slugs!  :)
 
                                                                     Look out!

                                                                  

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment