Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Rainy Days and Baking

It is raining today and what better thing to do than fill the house with the warm aromas of wholesome home cooking.  As you know I love making old fashioned recipes, tweaked to make them healthier and a few weeks ago I was lucky to find a recipe book that was printed in the 1970's at our local Easter Fair for $3.00.

I decided to make a slice with the most beautiful ingredients - dates, walnuts, lemon rind (our own lemons), our gorgeous eggs of course, rice bran oil instead of butter and 1/4 cup of sugar instead of the 1 cup asked for in the recipe and organic flour.  It is such a pleasure to cook using fresh, wholesome ingredients, the mixture smelt great even before it went into the oven.







 
I also found an intriguing dessert recipe from another book that I thought I would try.  It is a baked rice dish with crushed pineapple, sultanas and nutmeg.  Once again using our eggs as you can see from the beautiful colour. 

 
OK the rain has stopped and the chickens are clucking, sounds like they would like to have a chat so I am going out to say hello. : )

  
See you soon everyone, including you GG! : )))                                                                                                                                                                   

1 comment: