Saturday, December 10, 2011

A quick storm

This morning I am cleaning out the chickens feed containers as they got wet late yesterday.  Just when I as tucking them in for the night a severe storm arrived.  It was pretty funny really, insead of patiently waiting for the chickens to sort themselves out and stopping Abbey from biting the chicks I picked up Skeeta and threw her into the nesting box (her spot) made sure the babies were under the nesting box (their spot) and grabbed Abbey and threw her in beside Skeeta (her spot)!  I then had to run for it as a bolt of lightning struck very nearby and the thunder scared us all half to death!  I said "Seeya, be good!" and ran inside. : ))))  The rain blew right across their pen and wet their food.  We had 26mm in 15 minutes and then it stopped.  The rain was SO heavy.

Would you believe that when the chickens all look settled and I leave, Abbey then gets out of the nesting box area and attacks the chicks in their area under the nesting box ????   So I usually stay awhile to make sure she stays put, I guess the storm would have done that for me last night.

A few days ago we had a second coldest December day on record, it got up to 19 degrees.  What a great day for getting into the kitchen and making a batch of fruit chutney!  Lovely bubbling pots on the stove, one with the chutney and one with the glass bottles to sterilize them.  Smelt amazing also!

Enjoy the snow guys!  I can only imagine how beautiful that would look!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds a little scary anne! Those chutneys look like the best yet. Have you started with your christmas preparations?

    Today tony is working, and I have the day off. I'll be up the mountain in about an hour to try and get a photo of tony at work. I start real work tomorrow. I'm glad as I am running out of things to do.

    Love.

    ReplyDelete